Thursday, September 8, 2016

Week 1: About Myself

Hi my name is Thomas Seagrave. Originally I am from Vancouver, BC where I was born. I have dual Canadian UK citizenship as my parents are from the UK. I grew up in Delta, BC until I was 12 years old at which point I moved with my family to Brunei Darussalam (near Malaysia if you don't know) which is where I lived until finishing the IB Diploma with HLs in Chemistry, Physics, and Geography. I took a gap year before coming to UBC which was in Europe primarily focused in the UK and Ireland. I came to UBC because I had lived away for so long and wanted to be reunited with my childhood friends and my amazing city.

Brunei's Omar Suffidan Mosque (Wikipedia)

At UBC I'm in the Faculty of Arts hoping to Major in International Relations, I love geography and learning about the world in a macro-sense. I took LAST 100 because I feel that my knowledge of Latin America is lacking compared to other parts of the world, which I would like to remedy.

My hobbies include reading, travelling, hiking, skiing, playing (too many) video games, and drinking (socially of course!). As a result of living in Brunei I've had the amazing opportunity to visit a number of countries and experience an array of different things. I've played in a nationally renowned orchestra (which sounds more impressive than it is), trekked through the Borneo Rain Forest on numerous occasions, been scuba diving, and climbed Mt. Kenya (without porters). I am involved in the Duke of Edinburgh Program which is what I've done most of those things through. I have the Bronze and Silver Award and am currently working on my Gold Award.

Myself on top of Mt. Kenya (LOTS of layers!)

I hope that this class will help me develop an understanding of Latin America so that I can have a better and more holistic view of the world.

Thank you for taking the time to read a little about me, good luck on your adventures at UBC or elsewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment